Children expect love and encouragement from their parents and especially when they have just started school, they may feel overwhelmed with all the new things they are expected to learn.
Every child is different and so is their speed of adaptation. Some children may require extra attention while others may be different but as parents, it is important for you to understand when your child is having difficulty in understanding things. But instead of being hard on them you must support them and here is what you can do:
- Learn about positive reinforcement. Help them in staying determined and instill confidence.
- Provide them with emotional and social tools. Help their teachers understand what the child needs to grow in that environment.
- Help your children understand that everyone has their shortcomings and their obstacles are not a permanent part of their life.
- Research and understand how children with special needs can grow at home and what is expected from parents.
- Be a positive influence in their life. Encourage them to do their favorite tasks if you ever catch them losing hope.
Here are some ways to support your children and be present for them when they need help. If your child requires extra attention, you can even take help from their teachers and seek professional opinion to understand how can you improve their learning experience.
Speak to parents who have been through something similar and how they were able to help their children.