Parents are conscious about introducing new food groups in the diet of their children. Babies do not start having solid food till six months and that too is introduced to them gradually.
Whole grains like oats and wheat are the few grains that are introduced initially though babies can be allergic to some of the grains but that can be understood when a variety of grains are introduced to their diet.
But there are a few things to keep in mind while introducing whole grains to children. Here are some tips to keep in mind if you are planning to introduce whole grains to your baby’s diet.
- Introduce one food grain at a time to understand how their stomach is taking this change in their diet.
- Cook the grains properly to make sure the grains are easily digestible.
- introduce the grain of choice in a small amount. Increase the quantity gradually.
- Use water, milk and milk powder to mix the grains so that it is digested easily.
- Serve the grains with fruits and vegetables.
- Feed them the meal yourself and give them smaller bites.
You can also take advice from your child’s pediatrician and understand how you can safely introduce new food items in their diet.