Constipation in pregnancy is mainly due to the hormonal and mechanical function which slows down the working of the gastrointestinal system. But with few lifestyle changes you can easily deal with it. When I was pregnant, I had the same problem so here are a few tips that helped me and I recommend them to others too.
- Have wholemeal bread, cereals, fruits, and vegetables in your diet. This help in pushing the intestines to work and eases constipation.
- Increase your water intake
- Do regular exercise as it keeps constipation at bay.
- Add lemon juice into a glass of lukewarm water and consume it every morning.
- The consumption of cabbage soup can also be helpful in boosting bowel movement.
- Practice yoga regularly
- Cut out regular intake of drinks that make you visit the washroom more often, like tea, coffee and cola
- Fill up yourself with fibrous food.
- If you do not love high-fibre foods ask for its supplements but with the doctor’s consent only.
- Keep a check on diet and make sure you do not eat something that has the possibility of promoting constipation later like processed grains, un-ripe bananas etc.
- Have juices of cranberry, grape and orange as they are considered low-FODMAP juices and is helpful in easing constipation.
- Have prunes as they contain a compound called sorbitol that exhibits laxative properties, which can be highly effective against constipation.
- Ispaghula husk is a rich source of dietary fiber, and when mixed with water or warm milk, it acts as a mild laxative and helps to soften the stool.
- Eat yogurt as it is a rich source of probiotics that aid digestion by altering the microbiota in your bowels.
- The caffeine present in green tea exhibits mild laxative properties and relieves constipation.
Keeping a check on all these you can get rid of those uncomfortable and even painful pains caused by constipation especially during pregnancy .
We wish you a happy pregnancy.